Parade of Classic & Wooden Boats
North Island, New Zealand.
1920 to 1939
the brightest star in the constellation Eridanus and used to determine south.
Renamed "Betty" by Adm."Bull" Halsey in the War
years. Purchased by Don and Dianne Atkinson in August 2008.
History .... as told by previous owners:
1939 The only launch designed by R L Stewart a well known yacht designer for his father. Built by Collings & Bell that year in their yard in St Mary's Bay, now known as Westhaven. Plans are in the NZ Maritime Museum.
Kauri plank construction, Hull 30ft 10in, Beam 9ft 2in.
When war broke out Achernar was taken over by the Navy. In the latter part of the war Admiral William "Bull" Halsey, US 3rd Fleet, used the boat when on Rest and Recreation in Auckland renaming her Betty. Admiral Halsey despite committing what is considered one of the greatest blunders in naval history (Battle of Leyte) went on to become US Fleet Commander in 1945. After the war Achernar was shipped to the US but was dropped and broke a number of ribs enroute in Fiji. She was shipped back to NZ.
Achernar had a number of owners from that time on in Auckland - Mr Seager of Seagers Engineering Takapuna, Tauranga - local Surgeon Harry Gilbert, Thames - Mr Bill Cotton, and then back north spending most of her time in the Bay of Islands, around Great Barrier, the Gulf and Mayor Island - Dr Graham and Andrea Witney.
1984 saw a major refit and a flying bridge added at the Lane Motor Boat Co in the Tamaki River.
1993 gearbox & shaft replaced, new motor was able to be lowered and moved aftwards so as to be accommodated under the rear seats in the main cabin & forward seat in the cockpit.
2008 upon purchase the flying bridge was taken off and Achernar was restored by Mike Lowe as close as possible to her original colours and shape.
Owners: Alec & Verene Buchanan.
Kotuku is a 28 foot double skin kauri launch built by Robinson Brothers Boat Builders in Rotorua in 1923. She has a beam of 8'6" and a draft of 2 ft. Her early uses were varied and interesting, she operated as a tourist launch out of Okawa Bay and was used for lake weed spraying around Rotoiti.
Kotuku was purchased by Jack Bloomfield of Auckland sometime around the 1930's. She remained in the Bloomfield family of Gisborne Point for 3 generations.
Kotuku was originally powered by an Ailsa Craig Marine Engine that required cranking to start. She was re-powered and had a major refit when the cabin was altered in the 1950s.
A Grey Marine 6 cylinder engine was installed at that time and for a long period of time she was housed, maintained and serviced by a Mr Harris at Otaramarae.
In the 1970s she was sunk in her boatshed when youths tampered with the water intake, but was refloated without permanent damage.
During a refit in the 1980s she had a Volvo Penta 140HP motor installed and had a major upgrade of her propeller shaft and rudder.
In March 2005 she was taken to Tony Mitchell's boat building yard at Otaramarae, Lake Rotoiti where she was given a complete refit before her re-launching in October 2005.
Owner: Russell Brooke. Comet is a 15'6" Kauri runabout built in the late
1920's by a Mr Danby at Orapiu, Waiheke Island. She represents the runabouts,
popular in New Zealand at the time, often built from plans published by the
Rudder magazine in the United States.
She was bought by Ernest Chamberlin in the early 1930's and remained with the Chamberlin family until 1969 when she was taken to Kerikeri.
She originally had a 7hp Evinrude which gave a speed of 10 knots.
"Piko" was built in 1924
Length: 8.5m Designer: Colling & Bell
Owners: The Ruebe Family.
"Piko" was previously owned by the long time Okere Falls residents, the late Bill & Ngaere Reeves
"Ma Kettle" Owned by the Stewart Family.
Probably built during the 1920's.
She is a 3.75 metre Kauri Clinker Dinghy and was first used by the Stewart family while she was owned by Mr Ken Pilbrow of the Kettle Store at Rotoma. After renting her for five successive years she was given to the Stewart family who have repaired and maintained her since.
It was after the last overhaul that she acquired her name coined from her origins back to Rotoma and the Kettle Store and the Ma & Pa Kettle films popular during the fifties.
"Emperor" was built in
Designer: Charles Bailey
Owner: Alan Griffiths.
Built in Auckland in 1932 for use on Lake Rotorua. This kauri boat spent its first 15 years on Lake Rotorua before being sold to R. Deare in 1947 for use on Lake Rotoiti. At that time the cabin was modernised and a new Morris Commodore 6 cylinder petrol engine was fitted by the then well known Ian Harris, boat repairer, Otaramarae. The present owner purchased the boat in 1996 from Ian Steele. A light weight diesel has replaced the mighty "Morris" which was donated to the Maritime Museum at Paeroa.
"Victoria" 6 metre steam launch owned by Wayne Larsen. Built around 1930. Hull purchased by Wayne Larsen in 1996, single skin kauri plank, transom stern, wheel steering to internal rudder gear. Speed approx. 6 knots. Engine designed & built by Wayne Larsen in 1992. Vertical double column twin simple expansion condensing steam engine with Stephenson link motion reversing gear. Bore 2.25"x stroke 2.75". Approx. 350 rpm & 4 hp at full power. 1.75" x 1.375" conventional 3 valve condensate pump system discharges into 13 litre recovery tank. Simple keel type condenser 1" dia. x 6'10' long. Boiler feed by 2 single action feed pumps with 10 mm ram dia. Drawing water from recovery tank pumping water to boiler through exhaust feed water heater. Bypass valve to regulate boiler water level. Coal fuelled vertical fire tube boiler with wet fire box, constructed of quality boiler plate and pressure vessel welded. 76 x 3/4" copper fire tubes expanded into tube plates. Heating surface 20 sq.ft. Safety valve 120 psi. Propeller 3 blade right hand 15.5" dia. x 25" pitch. 1" stainless shaft.
Owner: Barry and Suzanne Allen
Length: 4.3 metres
Owner: Tex Crook, Length: 3.8m
Built: 1935, Classic river/lake boat carvel built in kauri timber. This little boat has spent most of its life as a fishing boat between Lake Rotorua and Lake Rotoiti for a Rotorua family. The grandfather, father and son from this family all used this boat for fishing. From the Ohau channel across to the other side of Lake Rotoiti was a regular trip for this boat. The builder of this boat, where it was built, the first owner and its original name etc. is documented but the information is locked away on the previous owners family Marae and is not accessible.
Awarded "Most meritoriously restored boat" 2003.
"R Coleman" Owners: Robin
& Anne Sinclair, Built: About 1922, Length: 3.8m
Kauri clinker dinghy estimated by Darcy Whiting to be 70 to 80 years old. Known to have been on Lake Tarawera in the 1950's (no known origin prior to this). In those days it had an inboard engine. Purchased by Roger Coleman in 1990 from Papamoa and gifted by Roger to the present owners in 1998. The present owners have advised that Roger Coleman died on the 19th January 2002 and wish to record their thanks to Roger for his generosity. Extensive refurbishing by Sally and Bob Yvill including new stern, seating and decks.
Awarded "Best hull built 1920 to 1939" 2003
"Mirabelle" Owner: Don
Penn, Built: 1932, Length 5.2m.
Carvel construction in kauri...powered by Ford four cylinder petrol engine...forward and reverse gear box. Believed to have been built for the daughters of the Rendell family, well known Auckland retailers, for trout fishing from their holiday home at Lake Tarawera. A good friend of the current owner who worked for Rendell Company around 1950 remembers the Rendell girls who were then in their 50's. Subsequently owned by Charlie Cooker of Te Puna for a number of years, and finally left derelict in an orchard. Picked up from the orchard around 1993 by Aztec Marine of Tauranga and restored by Peter Toms, a highly regarded boat builder, now retired in Whitianga. Briefly owned by Michael Lambert of Mike Lambert Transport, it was then owned by Bryan Forster of Acacia Bay, Taupo. Currently owned by Don & Maureen Penn of Rotoiti and moored in Okawa Bay.
Launch, Merit Award, 2005 Parade.
Owned by Mary Taylor, regularly used on Rotoiti by Mary's
daughter Rachael & Warwick Jamieson.
Built: 1932, Length: 9.2m. Used in the Sounds as a ferry to Arapawa Island.
Brought to Rotoiti in 1996 by Michael & Mary Taylor and has been in every parade since the
start of these annual parades. Awarded: "Best dressed crew" 2004 Parade.
"Diana" Owner: Bob Smith, Length 8.2m.
1936 Carvel built Vintage Launch.
Diana has had a major refurbish and was relaunched in September 2008.
The before and after views are shown here
Owners: Heiko & Christina Kaiser. Kauri dinghy, 4 metres
long, built in the 30's by Seacraft Ltd, Auckland, serial number
No.1840, Seagull 4 horse power motor, previously owned by Bill Hamill, who
used to go fishing with the boat. Bought in 2002, she was stripped completely of
all its colour (several different coats) and fibre glassed on the outside, with
restoration taking about a year. Only a few parts were replaced with
Kauri, she was then given the name "Lisette", the middle name of
Heiko's Mum. She is now running under a German flag!
Awarded: "Best restored Dinghy" 2004 Parade.
2005 Parade: "Supreme optimism award".(For having a fishing line out during the parade down the lake to the picnic beach)
"Luiarna" Owner: Gus Gardner. Length 5.5 metres.
18 foot "V" class yacht.
Yacht, Merit Award, 2005 Parade.
"Soul Survivor" Owners: John & Val Setters. Length:7.4 metres.
Designed and built in Dunedin 1928 by Miller & Tunnage of Port Chalmers.
Powered by a single cylinder 8hp Yanmar MX8 diesel, she was previously a commercial fishing vessel named "Fairley" operating out of Otago harbour.
"Chug" Owned by Paul East & Graeme
She is a 7 metre Kauri Clinker built in 1930 by an unknown builder.
Motor: 10hp 2008 Nannidiesel. Cruise speed: 7 Knots.
"Chug" started out life as a ships lighter in the Northland area. The original 10hp Lister-Petter diesel motor was thought to have been installed in the early 1950's. Chug was
rebuilt/restored 25-30 years ago by the then Okawa Bay owner at which point the cabin structure was added. She was named "Chug" at that time. In recent months Chug has undergone a further minor restoration and a re-power with the Nannidiesel."
"Ratanui" Owned by Guy & Jess Nelson. 1928 32' Kauri launch. Unknown designers and builders.
"Phantom" Owned by Mick Jones. She is a kauri carvel planked day launch under restoration in Tokoroa. She has an overall length of 4.8m, a beam of 1.8m, a large open cockpit, a small cuddy cabin with foredeck. She was considered an "old boat" by the late John Goudie when found as a wreck off Tukituki Bay just south of Colville Bay before the war. The hull is basically sound, but the Stuart Marine 4hp engine was seized up, and planks dried out after being out of the water for over 20 years. Mick Jones purchased her in 1997 after admiring her lines for many years at Otautu Bay, and is now in the final stages of restoration. The seams have been recaulked and payed, a replacement Yanmar 8hp diesel installed, inboard steering fitted, and fake portholes installed among the brightwork. She took to the waters last season and will find most of her time on the Waikato hydro lakes when finally complete.
"Yellow" Entered by Bill Geary & Goog Sutherland. 13' 1930's kauri dinghy.
Glenn Ruebe. Built 1920. Wooden planked, Length 23ft
Has been on the lake for about 30yrs.
Before that was in Whakatane, and up north of Auckland
Repainted 2011 and a tidy up. NOW added to the Ruebe fleet.
"Psyche 2" Entered by Bruce Kenyon. 1938 12'3" yacht. Designed by Alf Harvey and built by Chubby Dan.
Owned by Paul & Pat Pritchett from Christchurch since 2000.
23' long with a 7' beam and a two skin kauri hull, she was designed by Eric Cox in 1927 and built in 1930 by Col Wild. Originally powered with a 7hp Kelvin. She has a long and interesting history and saw harbour patrol service during the war. Repowered with a Saab single cylinder after the war and then a Mitsubishi 22hp twin cylinder in 1992.
"Valkyrie" Owned by Mark Bruce, 22' Gaff rigged L Class Mullety designed & built by Fred Lidgard in 1936. Raced the Lipton cup 1946, 47, 48. Won "The Overseas Cup". She was neglected and left to rot in the late 50's to early 2000's. Mark purchased her in 2007 from a Lady in Whangarei who had her under cover on the hard. My father, Colin Bruce who is a retired cabinetmaker/boat builder spent the last 3.5 years restoring her. We have converted her to a trailable boat with a water ballast system. We re-launched her mid January 2011.
"Wanderer" is her name, 1938 Lanes. She has a solid kauri hull and lantern decks in a traditional style. She was a patrol boat in the Waitemata Harbour in WWII. 1962 she was owned by Dr Macky (Auckland) and in 1963 her Perkins diesel was fitted. From 1964-1984 George Bridger (Devonport) owned her and cruised to the Bay of Islands, Great Barrier Island and the Mercury Islands. After refurbishing in 1984 Wanderer was bought by Glennys and Graham McGlashan (Te Atatu) she cruised to the Bay of Islands in 1987, Mercury Islands in 1988, Whangarei in 1989 and the Great Barrier in 1990. The galley and saloon were altered in 1988 and she was repainted in 1988/1989. In 1992 Wanderer was purchased by Harry Woollery and the total recondition of her perkins diesel motor was undertaken. Wanderer cruised the Gulf and the Great Barrier before her sale to Collette and Graham Lee (Manurewa) in 1994. Kim Hamilton (Whangarei) of Marine and Engineering Services bought Wanderer in 2006 and sold to Fabian Goldbert (Rotorua) in 2009. This historic old launch continues to give pleasure to it's owners.
"Mary Broome" Owned by Patrick Maguire. 1927 Kauri Launch. Restoration started by Nigel Brock and Allan Clark in 2009.
Trevor Crawford in his unnamed clinker dinghy in the 2010 parade.
"Haumoana" Owned by Dave and Glenys Wilson. 32' Kauri launch designed and built by Colin Wilde in 1937.
Bruce and Margaret Goodwin. A 16' Chris Craft designed, New Zealand built
She was built around 1935-1940 using Kauri.
She has been in the Goodwin family since 1955 and used as a family ski boat, abandoned in 1975,
relocated around 15 years ago and restored in 2011.
The following details are recorded but photos are required to complete the page.
"Liberty Bell" Originally known as "Waihora", she was built in Onehunga in 1928. Used as a fishing boat out of Napier. Stolen in 1953. Recovered and used on Taupo as a charter boat for 25 years. Used by Zane Grey in 1978. Brought to Lake Rotoiti by William Main and the name changed to Liberty Bell. Length: 7.9m, Present owner: Tony Mitchell.
"Rita May" Owner: Marc Spykerbos, Built: 1933, Length: 4.6m Dinghy. Built by Robinson Bros. Kauri & Pohutukawa clinker. Discovered abandoned and in bad state of repair on Rotoiti section where it had been lying for years under pine trees. Described as possibly a "Sea Scout Pinnace". Custom built trailer recently registered 1933P (Pinnace).
Back to Home Page Pre 1920 40 - 59 60 - 79 Post 79